WELCOME!

Welcome to Applique Alley! If you want to purchase any of my designs please visit www.appliquealley.com. Find me on Facebook!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

THE FIRST POST IS THE FIRST IMPRESSION




I wanted my first post to be my introduction. I highly doubt I will say anything life changing or profound.... but I still think I owe to my customers to let them see where exactly their products are coming from. I am a strong believer in intergrity and quality. If you get to know me at all, I feel that you will find me honest, caring, and sincere.



My name is Emily and I am currently a stay at home mom with 2 toddlers... one almost 3 and the other 17 months. I have a home business and it has been a blessing.... not really in the financial terms (thought I am more than thankful for that!). I am so appreciative for the people that have come into my life that I might never have known. I have found a confidence I didn't know I had... I was recently featured at http://www.marketmommies.com/ . I am going to post my feature below b/c I think it answers a lot of questions you might have about me:

Featured Mom Questions:

1. Tell us about your business.
Emily Horn Designs is a broad term. I paint custom canvas paintings to my customer’s specifications. I can match crib bedding or any other d├ęcor. My “designs” don’t end there. I also make metal door hangers, wooden door hangers, canvas door hangers, hair bow hangers, hospital door hangers, party favors, buckets, drink tubs and more! I like variety so that’s what I strive to provide! I even dabble in invitation design where you can order custom inviation designs and print them wherever you like… at home or at your local print shop.

My business has been pretty steady for the past year but it really blew up when I came across a name I will never forget: Layla Grace Marsh. I read her story and any other information I could find on her. I wanted to help so I designed a cross painting for her and sent the first one to the Marsh family. Then I dedicated a percentage of all sales of that cross to their family as well. I bought 6 canvases thinking I might get a few orders… well 50+ orders later, I am still delivering them! I finally finished the last few and I will be making my donation soon! I just wanted to do something for this family that had touched my soul… but little did I know God’s plan. Through all of this, I have met so many new, wonderful and caring people and found that there is still a lot of good in the world. I am inexplicably indebted to the Marsh family even though they don’t know it. Layla’s story changed me.


Most recently, I have ventured into the world of Appliques. I have always been curious about them and decided to research them. Once I saw the process of creating them, I knew I had found a new passion! I researched the software and got what I thought was best and I must say I loved it! I loved it so much that I decided to start an embroidery business of my own as well. So now I can draw and design the applique or embroidery designs myself and stitch them out! That’s how Applique Alley and Make it Applique Alley were born!

Lastly, I am planning to offer some art classes for younger kids. I remember all the art classes I took very fondly and remember how proud I was to show off my creation. I want to help others feel that way as well. This will be my first year to offer them… but I can’t wait!!! I hope it lasts for years to come!

That’s Emily Horn Designs, Applique Alley, and Make it Applique Alley in a nutshell.

2. How did you get started?
In the early Fall of 2008, I found myself as a new stay at home mom in a new home with a degree in Accounting I never planned to use again and no passion for much of anything. I found myself in a low place. Then I finally gave in to the constant urging from my husband and my mom to sell my artwork. I just decided to go for it! My husband came home from work one day and I told him that I had started a business… and then showed him the Facebook page and blog I had created. He was amazed… and still laughs about it to this day. Now, he is used to it. There have been many times when he would arrive home to find something new painted on the wall or a new creation. I must say my passion has become an addiction and I am so thankful that I finally listened to God and decided to use the passions He gave me instead of ignoring them.

3. Is there a person in your life that inspired you to go for it?
Of course there are a lot of people in this world that have positively inspired me, my mom, husband, and children. The same people that had faith in me when I didn’t have faith in myself… However, I will say that there have been people (one in particular) in my life that inspired me in a another way. People that I have watched as they let their talents go to waste…. Talents I know they had a passion for but fear kept them from using them. I, too, was falling into that trap. I have watched them and it seems that they are still waiting for their life to take shape but God was trying to mold them all along… but they didn’t seem to listen. Fear can do that. I can say that I had a great deal of fear and I still do but I won’t let it stop me.

4. What has been the biggest learning curve?
The biggest learning curve for me is to accept that people actually like my work and aren’t just telling me they do to keep from hurting my feelings. I am a HUGE people pleaser but I never had much confidence in my success to do so…..so to realize that someone would actually pay for something that was created by my hand, amazes me. It’s almost as if I thought it was huge hoax and everyone was going to come back and tell me that I couldn’t paint and had no talent… Silly I know… but again fear can do that. I guess that came from my initial confidence as a child and the undesirable outcome in finding out that kids can be mean and there isn’t much you can do to change that fact… no matter how hard you try. Now, over a year later from starting my home business, I am learning to accept the fact that people actually do want to hang my work on their walls and doors. I am so thankful.

5. What are the pros/cons of having your own business?
The main pro for me is finding an outlet that defines me in a way people may not have known me. I can express myself in any way I choose. I love that freedom.

The main con goes hand in hand with that. Since I have my own business… all of the responsibility is mine. Though I am doing what I love, it does take time away from the ones I love.

6. How do your find your balance between your family and your business?
I have a growing family… a husband, an almost 3 year old daugther, and a 17 monthd old son. I don’t know if there is a balance to be found. Life is constantly changing and I think you just have to be ready to change with it. I have learned to be adaptable, though I still struggle with it from time to time.

7. What advice do you have for moms with their own business, or moms who are thinking of giving it a try?
The best thing you can do is try and the worst thing you can do is regret. Be careful but be excited! I remember a quote from the movie “You’ve Got Mail” (one of my faves) where Kathleen was closing her store facing the unknown and Birdie said, “You are daring to imagine that you could have a different life. Oh, I know it doesn't feel like that. You feel like a big fat failure now. But you're not. You are marching into the unknown armed with... {pause}……..Nothing. Have a sandwich.” I love that quote. It makes me laugh and it makes me think. It’s ok to not know the outcome sometimes…

8. Tell Us about your family
As I mentioned before, I have a growing family. My husband and I moved to Hernando, MS about 4 years ago with a 5 year plan. Some of those plans have come through. Some haven’t. I started taking the alternate route to teaching and completed the first ½ including taking both praxis exams and passing them. I was unable to find a teaching job so I worked as an assitant for a year. I learned so much in that year and I very thankful. Then, we found out that we were expecting our 1st child and we had always hoped I would be able to stay home… so when the summer came, we decided to go for it. It was a lonely summer b/c we were new to the area and didn’t have a lot of friends, yet. Our daughter was born in August of 2007. It doesn’t seem like it was that long ago but here she is almost 3 years old watching Tinkerbell as I type this. Months later, I started my home business and we started searching for a church. We knew that would give us the roots we needed in DeSoto county. Months later we found the church we now call home. This has been a huge source of happiness for us. They all brought us dinner when our 2nd child, a son, was born… even though we had only been going there for a few months. We weren’t even members yet. I cannot express how grateful I am that God lead us to Getwell Road United Methodist Church…. But I can say that I couldn’t tell you about my family unless I told you about my church family b/c they are a huge part of it. Now, here I sit with my almost 3 year old and 17 month old while my husband, Justin works hard for our family. We have had our trials but they have made us stronger.

9. Anything else you would like to add?
One thing that I pride myself on… or at least I try to… is offering quality products at a reasonable price. I am a stay at home mom and I know what it’s like to want nice and pretty things and not be able to afford them… so I strive to make my creations as affordable as possible. I am always running specials and I do contests and giveaways throughout the year as well… mostly through my facebook pages.




I keep my facebook pages updated the most but I do have some blogs that are under consrtuction.

Emily Horn Designs – where you will find all of my painted art
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/emilyhorndesigns

www.emilyhorndesigns.blogspot.com

Applique Alley – where you will find all of my digital applique designs for sale
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Hernando-MS/Applique-Alley/121342721216813?ref=ts&ajaxpipe=1&__a=8

www.appliquealley.com

http://www.etsy.com/shop/APPLIQUEALLEY
www.appliquealley.blogspot.com

Make It Applique Alley – where you will find all of the items I can monogram or appllique…. Some designs by me and other designs by some of my favorite and talented fellow digitizers
(this is my newest venture so stay tuned for new items!)
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/pages/Hernando-MS/Make-It-Applique-Alley/121966121177328?ref=ts&ajaxpipe=1&__a=16

http://www.makeitappliquealley.blogspot.com/ (under construction)

My contact info:
emilyhorndesigns@hotmail.com
appliquealley@hotmail.com
or contact me through Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Graphic Design by Polka Dot Dandy