WELCOME!

Welcome to Applique Alley! If you want to purchase any of my designs please visit www.appliquealley.com. Find me on Facebook!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

RIBBON TURKEY TUTORIAL

BEFORE GETTING STARTED, LET ME MENTION THAT I SIMPLY DID THIS AS A TUTORIAL ON THE DESIGN ITSELF AND TO TEST THE DESIGN. IF YOU ARE STITCHING THIS OUT FOR A CUSTOMER, I HIGHLY SUGGEST IRONING ALL OF YOUR FABRIC AND APPLYING HEAT N BOND LITE BEFORE PLACING YOUR FABRIC IN THE HOOP. I ALWAYS TRY TO USE A THICK SATIN STITCH IN MY DESIGNS TO ADD STABILITY BUT USING HIGHER QUALITY FABRIC WILL HELP AS WELL. I ALSO SUGGEST LEAVING MY DESIGNS IN THEIR ORIGINAL FORMATS. ALTERING THEM IN ANY WAY COULD CHANGE THE OUTCOME OF THE DESIGN. THANKS!

I HOPE THIS TUTORIAL HELPS! :

1. FIRST CUT YOUR RIBBON TO THE DESIRED LENGTH. I CUT MINE ABOUT 9" AND FOLDED IT IN 1/2 FOR EACH "FEATHER". IN THIS TUTORIAL, I USED 6 STIPS OF RIBBON.
2.THE FIRST OUTLINE OF THE TURKEY IS JUST TO SHOW THE SIZE OF THE TURKEY
3.THE SECOND SET OF STITCHES IS TO SHOW WHERE THE RIBBON WILL BE PLACED 4.THEN, FOR EACH RIBBON, IS A TACK DOWN AND ZIG ZAG STITCH. FOLD YOUR RIBBON STRIP IN 1/2 AND LAY IT IN THE HOOP IN THE CORRECT POSITION. I LEFT A GOOD BIT ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STITCH TO ADD STABILITY AND TO KEEP THE RIBBON FROM SLIPPING. HOLD ONTO YOUR RIBBON AT THE FOLD WHILE THE TACK DOWN STITCH COMPLETES. WATCH YOUR FINGERS! THIS IS ONLY TO KEEP THE NEEDLE FROM PUSHING THE RIBBON ASIDE.

4. I PUT 2 RIBBONS IN A V - SHAPE ON THE TOP STITCH... BUT IT JUST DEPENDS ON THE THICKNESS OF YOUR RIBBON. YOU COULD PUT 2 ON EACH STITCH IF YOU WANTED MORE, OR YOU COULD EVEN USE ANOTHER MATERIAL BESIDES RIBBON.... THERE ARE MANY DIFFERENT WAYS TO DO THIS.
5. I ADDED AN EXTRA TACK DOWN STITCH TO ADD STABILITY TO THE RIBBON.
6. NOW YOU ARE READY FOR YOUR TURKEY PLACEMENT STITCH. SINCE YOU ALREADY KNOW WHERE IT IS GOING TO BE DUE TO THE OUTLINE STITCH ON STEP 2, YOU CAN GO AHEAD AND LAY DOWN YOUR MATERIAL. IN THIS TUTORIAL, I LAID DOWN A VERY THICK PIECE OF STABILIZER (SIMILAR TO FELT) TO MAKE SURE ALL OF MY RIBBON WAS COVERED WELL AND LEFT NO "HUMPS" IN MY FABRIC. THIS SERVED TWO PURPOSES, TO COVER THE RIBBON AND TO KEEP THE RIBBON FROM GETTING CAUGHT IN THE NEEDLE DURING THE PLACEMENT STITCH.
7.THEN BEFORE CUTTING THE STABILIZER, I LAID DOWN MY BROWN GINGHAM FABRIC AND PROCEEDED TO THE CUTTING LINE STITCH.
8. THIS STEP JUST SHOWS THE FABRIC AND STABLIZER CUT WITH THE ZIG ZAG STITCH COMPLETING.
9. HERE IS MY FINISHED TURKEY! AS I MENTIONED BEFORE... THERE ARE ALOT OF WAYS YOU COULD DO THIS TO MIX IT UP A BIT! IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE EMAIL ME AT APPLIQUEALLEY@HOTMAIL.COM

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Graphic Design by Polka Dot Dandy